Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Social Security

I've heard that social security has been reformed over and over again and yet people are still complaining about it.  I don't understand all the aspects of social security but I have heard my parents and other family members complain about it.  Especially my dad when it came to his disability.  It took forever for them to accept the fact that he cannot work, almost six months, and to provide his social security disability check.

Sometimes I don't know how secure social security is.  In the article, it talks about it being exhausted by the year 2038.  And even though they're trying to reform it in order to still provide the same benefits to future recipients, it still is not working because they are STILL trying to reform it.  I hope soon they can reform so future recipients can get what everyone else before them got.

If I am mistaken about somethings, don't feel bad about correcting me.  I'm not the best with economical subjects but this is what I previously thought and what I've learned from the article.

2 comments:

  1. Lizzy, you bring up an argument surrounding disability benefits that is opposite the one I bring up in my post, but equally valid. I express frustration at people receiving disability benefits who don't really need them or who maybe did need them at one time, but don't anymore. It is even more infuriating to think that this happens at the same time people like your dad, who really DO need the compensation, are being cheated out of their benefits for six months or longer. Again...there is a major flaw in the evaluation process here. People who need disability need to be moved into the program quickly and people who do not need it, should not be in it at all. Where is the weak link?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Luke. Social Security has been exploited by those who decide not to work but receive government benefits for disabilty nonetheless. Medicaid, however, is an even worse case of this. It's so unfortunate that many who qualify for SS and other government programs funded by taxpayers' dollars actually take advantage of this system and take away from those who truly need government aid.

    ReplyDelete